Friday, December 19, 2008

Tradition of Revelations

December not only holds the holiday season but the home season of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. Of the many performances of dance/theater/music I am lucky enough to attend the AAADT always wins my heart. For eight consecutive years we have found our way to 55th Street. My year would honestly not be complete without an evening on spectacular dance capped off with Revelations.

This year the AAADT is celebrating 50 years. In honor of the achievement Mr Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra held court for one week of special perfomances with live music. It was fantastic and added an entirely new dimension to the evening.

Revelations is Ailey's masterpiece. It leaves me speechless and breathless every time. I find myself holding my breath the entire time not wanting to move a muscle in fear of missing a millisecond of perfection. From its premiere in 1960 this piece has moved countless people across the world.

If you ever find yourself in NYC in December Alvin Ailey is a must. If not check out their tour. Maybe if you are lucky enough it will be coming to your hometown. Click here to find out.

Alvin Ailey was brillant and ahead of his time.

No comments: